Behavior at Edison Language Academy
Edison is committed to ensuring a caring community for learning in a safe environment and the school’s code of conduct is based on a set of core values:
- Kindness and consideration for others
- Cultural and linguistic diversity
- Determination and perseverance
- Fairness and justice
- Respect for self and others
- Responsibility and self-reliance
These values reflect our belief in equal opportunity and high academic expectations for all children, and the importance of effort and persistence. They show our belief in the importance of respecting ourselves and our neighbors, resolving disputes peacefully, and respecting diversity. Teaching about these values and giving children opportunities to put them into practice in daily life give children the opportunity to build good character. Therefore, at Edison Language Academy, we adhere to the following principles:
- We are respectful of differences of all types. We choose our words and actions to help, not hurt others. We keep our school free of verbal and non-verbal put-downs with regard to:
1) Academic progress; 2) Age; 3) Appearance/body image/ mannerisms; 4) Athletic ability; 5) Belief systems; 6) Cultural, ethnic and/or racial background, including immigration status; 7) Family background and composition; 8) Friendships; 9) Languages; 10) Learning styles; 11) Physical challenges; and 12) Sexual harassment of any type, including gender stereotypes and homophobic taunts.
- We use school-appropriate language.
- We do not put up with physical abuse, taunts, threats or bullying (see “Interpersonal Conduct” below for more information about bullying).
- We accept responsibility for our words and actions without excuses.
We teach students the skills to get along with others and resolve conflicts non-violently. We use class meetings to teach Cool Tools, the skills in the Caring School Community Program and the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program to help create a supportive school environment free from bullying behaviors. School behavior expectations and problem solving skills are discussed frequently with students and reinforced in schoolwide assemblies.
All Edison students are expected to abide by the following code of interpersonal conduct:
- We use positive and school-appropriate language with each other;
- We do not invade the space of another child or hit, push, kick, or otherwise hurt another person;
- We do not engage in bullying, name-calling or threats. All students are expected to abide by the following pledge:
o We will not bully others.
o We will try to help students who are bullied.
o We will try to include students who are left out.